Monday, August 11, 2008

The Boot Camp Saga, Day 1

Wow, 4:45 is FREAKING EARLY. Like still dark early. Like still NIGHT early. I had planned to ride my bike to boot camp, but, hello, still PITCH BLACK at 5:15.

Got to boot camp in the park at 5:25, so a few minutes early for the 5:30 start time. Surveyed the participants (about 20) to make sure that I was not the oldest or the fattest. With that confirmed, I could relax a little bit. Lame, I know, but that's how I roll.

The instructor arrived. She's about 4'11", weighs about 75 pounds and, literally, cute as a button with braids in her hair. And perk-perk-perky! Perky out the wazoo. I do not heart perky on a good day. I detest perky at 5:30 in the morning.

Short run down of what we did for an hour: stretch, run, use handweights, run, handweights, jump rope, handweights, run, abs, stretch. There was more jump rope in there, but I am forming some kind of mental block because, jumping? not so much feeling the love for jumping, especially with a rope.

After the initial stretching the first thing we did was run. I thought, cool, this is where I will be able to reign superior as, hello, I am a runner! as evidenced by the fact that I have run 4 miles! in a row! more than once! So, running, totally my thing, piece of cake.

Turns out, not so much. I am slow. I am so slow. I am lamely slow. So the first run, which was the longest around the whole park, I brought up the rear. On the interval runs between weight training, which were shorter, I was mid-pack. My running expertise (haha) did pay off, however, by the end of the hour, because I still had some running stamina left where others (who smoked me in the beginning) were starting to lag and walk. So there, I knew running every other day would pay off eventually.

Overall, I am giving Day 1 of Boot Camp an A. It was fun, it was a good workout, but not like kill yourself workout, and, hello, it's 9:16 a.m. and I am up, have eaten breakfast, have worked out, showered, took a kid to the dentist at 8 and have proofread one transcript, all at 9:15 a.m. So yay for early starts. (I'll revise this at 2pm if I pass out.) Thank GOD I am signed up for the wuss session of only three days a week, though, because if I had to get up this early again tomorrow, I'd be very sad right now.

Boot Camp Day 2 on Wednesday. The saga continues.

PS: the photo is of the gazebo at Esther Short Park, which is where Boot Camp is happening. We're on the bandstand with our yoga mats and weights, like a free fitness show for the homeless in the park! So fitness and humanitarian good deed all in one.


getupnow said...

Woo Hoo! Great job on the boot camp. I would have been looking for the nearest park bench to finish up my sleep! :-)

Sherry said...

Oh, my God. Shana, that was so funny, I read it twice.

Shana said...

Thanks! Just to update: it is 4:37 p.m. and I have not taken a nap yet.

CindyPTN said...

Awesome rehashing of your morning Shana! Great job too.