Monday, April 13, 2009

How many dishes are too many dishes?

So project declutter has moved into the storage area of our basement. Not because we're finished sorting through the crap that we have out in the open, but because my husband has ADD and was in the basement looking for a paint brush and got totally distracted by a box that had not been opened in five years and became consumed with the need to GET RID OF whatever was in the box. Because? Freakazoid.

In the box were his deceased mother's dishes. They're lovely. Full set, immaculate condition. They are....
Whereas our dishes are...
(Don't mind my supper). I've got a set for 12 of multi-colored (i.e. mix and match) Fiestaware. 

Now the question is: do I keep grandma's china? I don't imagine I'll ever use it. But it feels very unsentimental to garage sale or goodwill it. But also feels very anti-declutter to save it in a box just for the sake of saving it. We don't own a china cabinet or anything like that, where we could display it, and frankly it's not really fine china for displaying. It's more like plates, for eating off of, which we already have an abundance of.

Decisions, decisions.

PS... I am flabergasted that NOT ONE SINGLE PERSON has asked me for the directions to making a bunny cake. You people have no soul or sense of whimsy. The bunny cake kicks ass. Show some respect.

PSS... Several people did comment about me being married to a therapist. And here's a little insight into what that is like. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE and happened tonight.

Context: I am watching TV in the den, adjacent to Carlie's room. Tim goes in to tell Carlie goodnight. It's 8:30 pm and she is in bed nice and early to make up for last night's bedtime fail. Now, remember, this is the girl who can't sleep because of her swirling brain.

Carlie: Daddy, who did you see at work today?
Tim: Oh, I saw lots of people.
Carlie: Like who?
Tim: Well, I saw some kids that were having some problems. And I met with one mom who drinks too much alcohol and can't take care of her kids because she drinks too much.
Me: (from the other room) CHOKE CHOKE CHOKE shut the fuck up CHOKE CHOKE
Carlie: (in her head) OH HOLY SHIT, MY MOMMY DRINKS ALCOHOL TOO, I AM TOTALLY GOING TO WAKE UP AND FREAK THE HELL OUT ABOUT THIS AT ABOUT 2 AM.

12 comments:

Cat said...

You'd think maybe hubby would be aware of Carlie's swirling brain problem, since his profession is to fix swirling brain problems!

About the dishes, that's a tough one. In the end, what would one little box of dishes hurt. Of course that could be the top of the dreadfully cluttered slippery slope.

Keetha said...

Oh, dear. Here's hoping your girl promptly forget that entire conversation.

I'd say keep the dishes.

Kathy said...

that's not a therapist issue, that's a dad issue...in my opinion. Most don't have a clue to their children's emotional well being. And the swirling thoughts in the head plagued me as a child too.

Janet said...

ROFLMAO! Doh! I love your fiesta ware :-)

Witness Aria said...

Change out your dishes seasonally. Your set for spring and summer; grandma's for fall and winter. Of course, doesn't help with decluttering house, just makes bigger stack in the cupboard. Alternately, use old set as clay pigeons for a 21 gun salute. How is that not respectful?

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Oops! Yesterday we had the distinction of watching a pretty scary, action-packed "Witch Mountain," the kids saw lots of provocative ads in storefronts of the mall, and they asked my about a missing kid's picture they saw-- "who took her? why?" I think there will be some head swirling around here,too. Of course I'm not a therapist, so I didn't know any better!

Cat said...

I was thinking about your dish problem while in the shower (where I do my best thinking) and came up w/ two possible solutions.

1) Is there another family member that might want them?

2) If not, is there a singular piece like a serving bowl, salt and pepper shakers or a butter dish that you could keep as a memento while finding a home for the rest of the set?

Fantastic Forrest said...

Aren't you glad I am here to solve your problems? Use the dishes as frisbees to hurl at Tim when he says these thoughtless, foolish things.

See you later, mon ami.

stephanie said...

We love our mismatched Fiestaware - it's all about having a party at mealtime!

The china is so lovely, but I think you're on the right track with donating - maybe a women's shelter where they would appreciate matched dishes?

beerab said...

I echo what cat said- if there is someone else in the family who would like the set I'd give it to them.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Cat and beerab are on the right track on this. Does Tim have siblings who might love Grandma's china? If not, what about the grandchildren? If not, what about craigslist and then use the money for a special "let's remember grandma by doing this super fun thing" activity.

Like DisneyLand. :-)

Lisa Wheeler Milton said...

You are all so sweet, figuring out what to do with the china. I'm still laughing at all silent dialogue...