Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My snark always comes back to bite me in the ass




Without fail, the snarkier and bitchier I am about something, especially when I am doing it in front of people (ie entertaining my friends with my quick wit and wry sense of humor), I always end up getting paid back. You'd think this would be a learning experience. But, strangely, not so much.

Case in point. I have been having a hell of a time these first three weeks of marathon training making merciless fun of the running geeks in the "hydration packs," which are basically a fanny pack full of water bottles. Because? Seriously? Fanny packs are the ultimate fodder for ridicule. Sorry to any of my closet fanny-packing friends, but come on. Besides, at the end of each run, there are cups and water and protein bars and last week even donuts (with sprinkles!), so seriously? You need a fanny pack full of water bottles to run for less than an hour? And I'm NOT supposed to make fun of this?

So this week, week four, the seminar topic will be hydration. A perfectly reasonable and expected topic in a marathon training program. I am onboard with the topic of hydration. And then in the fine print, I see, "After April, we stop providing cups.  We require everyone to carry their own hydration system on Saturday and Sunday mornings."

And so, as it has happened so many times in the past, I now am forced to become that which I mock. As soon as I make an informed hydration system decision, I'll be sure to post photos.

Update: Just priced these suckers online and holy shit.

6 comments:

Cat said...

I ran a 10k once, and a woman wore one of those. I thought it was quite silly, and later when I saw her coming out of the bushes after having to take a pee break at mile four, I knew I was right.

Margy said...

I have never worn these - I agree with your snarky comments. What we used to do for our long runs is go out & hide water/gatorade very 2 miles. And I used to run in Florida so I know how to stay hydrated. Great if it was an out and back training run- less water to set uout becuase you just doubled back on your water stops. WTF about your group who you paid over $100 to join. What are they doing with the $$ that they can't pay for water?? You can go on line for advice....

Keetha said...

Oh you've got to post pictures of you wearing that fetching hydration-system get up.

Vicki said...

You could always buy a camelbac instead of those round the waist thingeys. I find it easier to run with a small pac on my back than bottles around my waist.

Anonymous said...

I agree with vicki, get a camel back. Or put water in your car with ice.

Cynthia said...

Yeah, here's the deal with these things (and you will need it) Buy Fuel Belt (they make it for women. Buy it tight. If you buy it too loose, it will slosh around, drive you crazy, and give you chaffing (which hurts). They are expensive, and I hate running with it...until I'm doing 18 miles in 90 degree heat. Then I want it;)