Saturday, August 1, 2009

I obviously have a personality disorder

So, I was on Facebook and saw a comment on a (high school) friend's page by someone that I am not friends with, but that I went to high school with.

Are you with me so far?

Anyway... this girl was gorgeous in high school and also? A completely mean and hateful bitch. Hateful. I am not even exaggerating.

And now? She looks like shit. Seriously. If her name weren't there, I would have NEVER in a million years associated the photo of the hag she is now with the pretty/mean girl she was then. She looks a good 10 years older than she is, not to mention horrible dye job, in bad shape and just generally looks miserable. And this? Is probably the best photo she could come up with. So you know it's bad.

So that is what it is. Here's my question: why does this bring me such absolute joy? I am, I am smiling ear to ear and doing a little happy jig as I type this. Because she not only looks horrible, but she looks unhappy. And this? Brings me happiness.

Please, diagnose this. Because I am pretty sure it's not normal.

PS: Make sure you check out my video of Carlie's amazing first performance after two months of ballroom dance lessons!

PPSS: It just occurred to me that I should ask the experts!

5 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

I felt the same joy recently when I was looking at some photos from my high school reunion, which I did not attend for all the obvious reasons. I noticed that several of the cheerleaders were showing lots of signs of sun damage and that they looked older than they are. I did the same jig of happiness that you did.

katydidnot said...

i think it's fine. be joyful. because carlie? can dance.

the two are not linked, i know. but still.

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

i guess the question is, are there any people out there who are smiling w/ joy b/c of how we look? i just don't want to go there.

altough of course the answer is NO because 1) we look fabulous 2) we were/are nice.

go carlie!

Unknown said...

I'm pretty sure you're the one who told me about the word schadenfreude: enjoyment obtained from the troubles of others

You're diagnosed now. It's still one of my favorite words. I have to kind of admire the Germans for actually coming up with a word for it.

stephanie said...

I allow myself to be giddy in my mind, then I pray for forgiveness. Lather, rinse, repeat.