Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Best Laid Plans

We had it all figured out. We dropped the price on our house to our lowest acceptable price, and if it's not sold by the end of the month, then we'll pull it off of the market, survive the holidays, do a few projects around the house, and relist it in the spring.

But then this happened. And I'm wondering if this should change everything? In a nutshell, we didn't really feel that the $8,000 tax credit for first-time home buyers would impact our ability (or inability) to sell our house. Because generally speaking, first-time home buyers aren't shopping in the $300,000+ range.

But the extension of that program also includes a revision to include NOT first-time home buyers. And moves the income cap up to $225,000 per family.

And I'm thinking that maybe now, with those changes, it will impact our ability (or inability) to sell our house. I don't know. ???

So Tim doesn't want to pull off of the market now at the end of the month. And I don't want to be "for sale" and "showing" and maintaining at that level through the holidays. Don't. Want. To. Do. It.

Every time I start to feel good and focused and embrace a plan, the *plan* gets changed. And I have a hard time operating that way.

4 comments:

Maggie May said...

I'm sorry it keeps changing. I know nothing about this process but you do sound very informed and smart about it.

Cat said...

I had a friend who sold her house last Christmas and said it was a great time to sell, because all of the decorations made the house look great. I think I'd side with Hubby just this once.

Keetha said...

I like your original plan. Maybe compromise by re-listing it in February rather than later in the spring.

I can't imagine December is a big month for home buying, home selling anyway.

Cynthia said...

Ugh...I got nothing. Real estate is a scary place:O Can I offer you a drink, or some chocolate?