Monday, February 8, 2010

Bye-Bye, Gallbladder

This smiley face image? You can thank me later. I was googling a picture of a gallbladder to show you, but it was all so horrible and disgusting that I went with the smiley face instead. You're welcome.

Friday night I had a funky belly ache. By 9 pm, it was really bothering me, so I skipped Carlie's dance party and had Tim take her. When they got home at 11 pm, I was contemplating going to the ER, but talked myself out of it, thinking I had gas or had eaten something that wasn’t agreeing with me.

By 2 a.m. I was ready to go to the ER, but didn’t want to wake up Carlie and drag her along, and didn't want to leave her home alone, so I convinced myself that I could wait until the morning.

At 5 a.m. I had Tim drop me off at small urgent care clinic just a few blocks from our house, and then come back home so Carlie wouldn’t wake up home alone and freaked out.

The doctor at the urgent care clinic (who looked like a cowboy, but that's a story for another day) sent me to the full blown hospital for a gallbladder x-ray. And by 10 a.m. it was decided that I’d be having my gallbladder removed and spending at least one night, if not two, in the hospital.

They took me into surgery Saturday at noon and removed my gallbladder laprascopically (sp) and then did a liver scan. My gallbladder, which I have never had a problem with once in my entire life, was in horrible condition. The liver scan showed gall stones in the duct, so I had to go into recovery, wake up from the anesthesia, and then go to a different type of operating room and go under general anesthesia again. I DO NOT DO WELL WITH ANESTHESIA, just fyi, so this was pretty horrible for me.

Second procedure was done with endoscopy, where they put a camera tool thing down my throat and basically roto-routered the liver duct.

So now I have: zero gallbladder, a ziplock bag filled with about 100 little gallstones (just for kicks) and two DISGUSTING DRAINAGE TUBES coming out of my belly into bags on my right hip. SO GROSS.

I’ve been home for about 20 minutes now. Tim has gone to fill my Rx and then he is going to work. A friend will be bringing Carlie home from school. WHAT A FUCKING ORDEAL THIS HAS BEEN.

No work for a week, no heavy lifting for months, no running for at least 6-8 weeks, soft/liquid food for the foreseeable future and a low fat diet forever.

It bears repeating; WHAT A FUCKING ORDEAL. Never in a million years when I had a stomach ache Friday night did I think I’d be undergoing surgery twice over the weekend. Total insanity. I am so glad to be home now. But honestly, if I had known that I’d have to be emptying these disgusting drains etc. at home, I might have stayed another day in the hospital. SO GROSS.

I have follow up with the surgeon on Wednesday and one drain will be removed. but the bile duct thing filled with disgusting green bile will be with me for…. get ready for this…. A MONTH TO TWO MONTHS. Seriously. A bag of disgusting bile draining from a tube in my stomach, carried around on my hip for up to two months.

ARE WE HAVING FUN YET?

12 comments:

Little Girl::Big Glasses said...

Ugh. I had to have my gallbladder out a week after having a baby...no fun, and yours sounds way worse. Feel better.

Anonymous said...

Gross. And I'm sorry. But I'm glad you are okay. It's crazy that you never had any symptoms before hand. Again, I'm glad you are okay.

Mommy, I'm Home said...

Yikes! Sounds like a nightmare. Sorry....

Cat said...

Okay, I had mine out and went home the same day. No drainage thingies either. I was either lucky or I had a really bad doctor.

Cat said...

Oh, hope your feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Not to repeat myself but...

much suckage!!

And also...

REST REST REST!

And yes, thanks for sparing us since I am currently eating my lunch!

Jen on the Edge said...

I'm just thrilled you're alive and able to bitch about the drainage tubes for the next month. And just think of all the mileage you'll get of this:

"Tim, can you take Carlie to school/dance/etc.? I can't, as I have to flush my drainage tubes."

"Oh, sorry Tim, I can't take out the garbage/clean the bathrooms/etc. My drainage tubes prevent this."

chiara said...

Dude, this sucks. I'm sorry :( Sounds like emergency gallbladder removal - I think most of the time people schedule it because they've had chronic issues that hadn't yet advanced so it isn't the ridiculous mess you have. Weird that you had no noticeable symptoms before this...

Unknown said...

Oh, my God, Shana! That sucks horribly. I think the low fat diet forever is worse than draining tubes for a month, although I'm not entirely sure.

Next time I get gas I'm going to end up all paranoid now. Thanks for ending the suspense finally. I was wondering what was going on once you posted something on Facebook.

Keetha said...

I'm still trying to process all that. I don't know how you're coping! Ugh.

I'll be thinking of you!

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

Sounds MISERABLE! I am so glad that stupid thing didn't rupture. Hope you are feeling better each day.

Janet said...

damn, how'd I miss this! Hope you're feeling all better now. I had my gall bladder out, too, but just the one op. Low fat diet? Really? Hmmm...I must've missed that. I can't eat OVER much fat...but I still eat it.