Thursday, October 9, 2008

Breast Cancer Awareness 30 Minutes Challenge


I have a family history of breast cancer, including losing my mom to it in 1998.  So I try to stay trendy and in-the-know when the latest how-not-to-die-from-cancer info comes down the information highway. And the latest? 30 minutes of activity for as little as five times per week can decrease your risk of breast cancer by 20 percent.

While I was unable to meet my fitness goal last month during the Lazy Man Triathlon, I am ready to move on to the next challenge, The Breast Cancer Awareness 30 Minutes Challenge. This one, I feel confident I can do. Though I was also pretty cocky about the triathlon, so we'll see. And note to self: when doing a triathlon, it is essential that one actually goes to the pool at some point. Doh!

I'm currently doing the Hal Higdon Spring Training Program to run a 10k, so this should be a slam dunk, right? Except for the part where I ran three miles yesterday and thought I was going to die. Three miles! WTF? Three miles is not difficult, but yesterday, sheesh, just not feeling the love.

Back on point, though.  If you are (1) up to the challenge (nanner-nanner-boo-boo) and (2) want to work on your fitness level and (3) are a victim of peer pressure (i.e. perform better when you are part of a group) ... go to Elastic Waist and sign up : )

When you sign up, you'll get linked to a Google document, and all you have to do is log your minutes per day on the document, and you can see what everyone else is doing, and know that they are seeing what you are doing, and that if you don't exercise they will point and laugh behind your back.  How's that for motivation?  (No, actually, there is no laughing or pointing, but the thought of laughing and pointing is what keeps me going because that's how my damaged brain functions.)

See you there?

No comments: