Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolutions


2008 was a year of self-focused physical improvement for me, working on the self, making health and fitness part of my norm. In 2009, I want to turn some of that focus outward and focus on hearth and home and recapturing the sense of "safe haven" that this house once held for me... as opposed to the current sense of "never ending money pit" and "sty."

In 2008, I practiced my unlistening skills. That voice in my head? Yeah, she's kind of a nit-picky bitch. In 2008 I learned to stick my fingers in my ears and sing "nanner nanner boo boo" until she was drowned out. But ignoring her did not make her go away, and sometimes when I am not paying attention, she pipes up once again, finger-pointing to the "would haves" and should haves" and "could haves" not taken.

In 2009, I want to banish her. For good. Like dead and gone. Nothing good comes from the criticism and the "not good enough" mantra. So while I participate in 365 Days, she dare not rear her naggy head to point out crows feet and laugh lines and a double chin. Not only am I not going to listen, but I am going to shut her ass down. For real. And if I muster up the courage to actually write something besides blog posts, she will have no editorial license with me.

So that's it. Pretty simple and straightforward resolutions. Focus on getting this home back in shape, focus on getting my psyche in shape. Oh, and I'm running a half marathon in April. Because 13.1 miles? Half my ass. Just feeling like it's OK to register for this mutha is a full-on accomplishment.

2009 is going to be the bomb. Seriously. I'm ready to kick some ass this year.

3 comments:

Margy said...

You go girl!! I'll be along for the ride via the blog and know YOU CAN DO IT! I'll send ya something via e-mail when I am home or sneaking on-line at work - it really helps me remeber whatis important and forget all that negative BS.

Anonymous said...

You have inspired to me shut up the inner voice that points out that one eye is smaller than the other and that my features are too masculine and freaky looking. Ok, well looks like that voice is still loud and clear. But it is going away. Now. Really.

Lee said...

Shutting up that negative inner voice is so worth it (not that it doesn't sneak back once in a while, but infrequent is way better than constant). I'll be cheering you on. Oh and for the half marathon, too!