Thursday, August 20, 2009

Compassion my ass

What I should be doing:
Finishing up transcripts
Making up guest beds
Mopping dirty floors

What I am doing instead:
Stewing. Over this.

Synopsis: Terrorist who assisted in the bombing of a plane which murdered 270 people, found guilty, sentenced to life in prison, has terminal cancer so is being sent home to "die with dignity."

Uh? Yeah. No.

While in my heart of hearts I want to be a compassionate person, my head is screaming THIS IS BULLSHIT

What do you think? Does someone deserve a death with dignity after they've inflicted a very undignified death by falling out of the fucking sky on a plane (259 people onboard) or being crushed by a plane falling from the sky (11 people on the ground)? If you've been sentenced to LIFE in PRISON, shouldn't that apply no matter how long the life is? And frankly, if you're a lifer, isn't dying at age 57 kind of like an early release?

8 comments:

Jen on the Edge said...

I'm with you. I think it's wrong.

I have no compassion whatsoever for terrorists.

Little Girl::Big Glasses said...

AMEN.
In college, I worked at a student loan processing company, and I remember finding the file of a girl who'd been on that plane, and her parents had sent her death certificate and notorized letters to get the loan relieved. I just sat there with chills reading those letters. Those poor people lost their college-aged daughter and were going through all this crap and red tape. And this m-f'er gets out early so he can die at home in a cozy bed. I hope he gets hit by a bus on the way there.

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

I am so with you on this. I remember this so vividly-- I studied abroad the very next semester. He needs to dies sans dignity.

stephanie said...

I think prison is a perfectly acceptable place to die when one has been sentenced to be there.

Karma will prevail.

Margy said...

I totally agree - those families didn't get to say good bye. I want to be compassionate but i think I'll save it for innocent victimes and their families. The heros welcome he received was beyind words. And all of this? So Britain can buy oil from Libya - WTF....

Margy said...

Excuse all my typos in previous comments - it's ealry & I need more coffee to go with my rage.

Cat said...

I couldn't agree with you more. It made me sick when people who commit horrible crimes complain while in prison. Maybe our compassion is going to the victims in this case, where it belongs.

This goes hand in hand with another internal conflict I have.On the outside I'm against the death penalty because I don't think the government should be involved in killing people, but I have to admit, deep down inside, there are people who are not worthy to breath the same air as the loved ones of their victims are breathing.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Hear, hear.

I'm mollified by the belief that, as Stephanie notes, karma awaits this guy.