Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Today's Urban Adventure

Today I had to trek into Southeast Portland and pick up the school uniform order at Dennis Uniforms in the industrial area of town because SOMEONE volunteered to be the uniform mom and even though SOMEONE has been trying to get out of this job for the last year, NO ONE is volunteering to take it over.

Anyway, while we were in the industrial area, Carlie and I made a pitstop at another one of my happy places, City Liquidators. At Cinetopia, I can nourish my inner snob. At City Liquidators, I can feed my inner thrift store slut. When we pulled up, under the sale flags, Carlie said, "Are we still in Portland?" and I have to admit, there is a very third world nation kind of feel to the area. Festive!
Carlie was a little bit disappointed that the "toy aisle" was cordoned off with yellow crime scene tape and not accessible. Drats!
The only purchase we made was a pair of lime green fake Crocs for Carlie and a pair of pink sunglasses, also for Carlie. Crocs on me, sunglasses she used the money from her violin tip jar.


And though we didn't purchase a crushed velvet men's suit, available in red or blue, we did admire them and take a photo, because, frankly, how often do you come across a men's suit in crushed velvet?

Lunch was Carlie's choice, and she chose Taco Bell. Wearing fake Crocs and eating Taco Bell, oh the stories my little debutante will have to tell at her coming out party some day!

2 comments:

Anna Whiston-Donaldson said...

This sounds like my kind of day. I'm looking forward to the kids going back to school so I can hit the thrift stores again. And Taco Bell? Yum!

Keetha said...

I am digging the crushed velvet suits. How did you resist?